Thursday, September 29, 2005

Karen of Arabia

Instead of pressuring Israel to end the occupation of Palestine, instead of ending the killing of Irais, the Bush administration has sent Karen Hughes to tell the Arab world that Americans are really very nice. Needless to say, no one is buying it.

So much so, that an audience of well educated Saudi women claimed they don't really want the right to drive a care. One physician asserted, "I don't want to drive a car. I worked hard for my medical degree. Why do I need a driver's license?"

I have to say that I don't think that woman is telling the truth. I'm sure she would get a license in a heart beat if she were able to do so. The problem is saying that to someone who daily undertakes the humiliation of your people.

It is like criticizing relatives. You may do it yourself, but you get mad if an outsider says the same thing about your annoying sibling. Saudi women aren't going to tell a representative of the infidel state that they would like to see any changes in their country.

Karen should go home and tell her boss to end the occupation of Iraq. That would get him more applause in the Arab world than her little PR tour ever could.