Thursday, April 06, 2006

Cynthia McKinney and Tom Delay

MATTHEWS: Thanks. I owe you one. I owe you two -- today and last night.
DELAY: No you don't.
MATTHEWS: No, I do.
DELAY: I appreciate it.


Cynthia McKinney is a member of Congress, not a serial killer. If you believed what you read in the papers this week you would believe she is the latter.

Republicans need a good distraction this week. After all, Tom Delay is about to be fitted for an orange jump suit. McKinney got into a shoving match with a Capital Hill cop when she didn't stop at a security check point. A bad decision definitely, but she could be a lot worse.

McKinney could have shot someone and then dispatched a private citizen to tell us about it. She could have instigated a war that would make her a much wealthier person. I guess only Vice Presidents get to do those things.

In an era when trillions of dollars have been stolen from tax payers, when the U.S. government advocates torture, I can't get worked up because of pushing and shoving in the halls of Congress. I wish Democrats would do a little more pushing and shoving, figuratively speaking of course.

Speaking of the indicted Tom Delay, he gets applause when he enters Congress. He also has "journalists" who live to suck on his toes. If Chris Matthews had any shame, he would quit his job as host of the laughably named, "Hardball."

Matthews has been whoring for Republicans for quite a while but he was caught on tape with Delay during a commercial break.

MATTHEWS: Hey thank you for calling me. It was a good thing for me, mostly.
DELAY: Oh really.
MATTHEWS: Oh of course it was. We got on the air as fast as we could....
[...]

MATTHEWS: Shannon [DeLay aide] told me, she called me, she said 'don't worry -- he's not calling in to complain'...
MATTHEWS: Have you seen this new focus group stuff on the candidates?
DELAY: No I haven't
MATTHEWS: It's great stuff. I'll send it to you -- it's great -- yeah it's great stuff. Hillary, John Kerry. All these guys, all these democrats, and how they do. And, uh, Frank Luntz did it...
DELAY: who I like
CM: ...and Hillary did not do well. Kerry did well.
DELAY: You're kidding.
MATTHEWS: I am NOT kidding. They didn't like Edwards -- they thought he was a rich lawyer, pretending to care about poor people...
DELAY: Too slick. Too slick.
MATTHEWS: ...and Hillary was a know-it-all.
DELAY: Nothing worse than a woman know-it-all

There is something worse than female know it alls, and that is journalists who treat one party's talking points as though they are truth revealed from the heavens.

Delay announced this week that he isn't running for re-election but apparently he still wields a hammer. Chris Matthews seems to think so anyway. He knows his bread is buttered by the right wing, even if they are on the way to jail.