Sunday, July 25, 2004

A Different Electoral Map
 


Steve Bates, the Yellow Doggerel Democrat, was concerned, and I under state, about a recent post regarding the electoral map. Steve referred me to this map from Current Electoral Vote Predictor that shows Kerry with the advantage.

He points out that the New York Times is to say the least not pro-Kerry and the AP story was too deferential to GOP talking points. Steve is correct.

Unfortunately, I think that the bigger problem is Kerry's deference to GOP talking points. Recently the Republicans and their media allies prattled on endlessly that Kerry was too pessimistic. What have I seen lately on the news? Kerry and Edwards going on and on about how optimistic they are. In effect they give credence to Republican attacks and worse, they aren't talking enough about issues that speak to very basic differences between the two parties.

I don't think it is too hard to tell retirees who have prescription drug coverage that the new medicare drug plan may cause them to lose it. That is a far more effective point with swing voters than smiling a lot and telling them you are optimistic.

Regular readers know my issues with Kerry. I want him to win, but I am not convinced that he knows how to do it. Polls vary, but most show a close race. I think that Kerry should be way ahead of Bush at this point. We have a ballooning budget deficit, anemic job growth, seniors losing drug coverage, and a disastrous war based on lies. That ought to be enough to beat an incumbent. Let's hope.