Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Praise the Lord

You can't fool all of the people all of the time. Praise God! Ted Haggard's New Life Church has lost members and money ever since his relationship with a gay prostitute was made public.

I have no desire to join a church with 14,000 other people, so I never understood the megachurch appeal. I do understand not wanting to be treated like a sucker. It is good to know that megachurch fundies, or a healthy percentage anyway, don't either.

New Life has had to lay off some of its staff because of the defections. I do wonder if the lost members have thought about the real Haggard story. Have they considered that their homophobic rhetoric is a sham? Have they thought that they need to stop bashing gays? Have they realized that gay people are also Christians and that demonizing them is wrong? Probably not but I can hope.

I hope they have also realized that megachurches are all about the money. They are businesses and the Haggards among them are the CEOs. Haggard was all about getting rich and I hope they realized it.

Now that is too much to ask.