Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Lies, More Lies and Iraq

Did an Iraqi suicide bomber use two children to get through a check point and then kill the children in the detonation? So the headlines say.

My first reaction was that this was truly awful. The Iraqis have actually sunk to the level of the Israelis, who routinely use minors as human shields. Yes, the Geneva Conventions frown on that sort of thing but what do Israelis have to worry about when Uncle Sam lets them do whatever they want.

But seriously, I thought it was just horrible and unbelievable. After thinking about it for a few moments, it became less and less believable. In fact, I didn't believe it at all.

When I looked for the story in the New York Times, my reaction was somewhat vindicated.

"Lt. Col. Christopher Garver, a top American military spokesman in Baghdad, said late Tuesday that his office had no record of the bombing but that it was researching it. 'I don’t know what event he’s talking about,”'Colonel Garver said."

It seems that Sears doesn't talk to Roebucks before spinning tall tales. I don't think anyone should believe this report unless it is verified by an independent source.