Monday, October 13, 2003

Happy Columbus Day

Today in 1492 Christopher Columbus found himself in the Caribbean. He was looking for a new route to India. Men will just not ask for directions.

The arrival of the Europeans had horrific consequences for millions of people. The native populations of every nation in this hemisphere were devastated by disease and conquest. Every nation in this hemisphere participated in the evil enslavement of Africans. I sure hope that whole karma idea is bogus. If it isn't we are in very big trouble.

Viet, um Iraq

Take a look at this story. Having learned absolutely nothing from our experience in Vietnam, some genius in the U.S. military had the bright idea of punishing Iraqi farmers for not informing on guerrillas. Do you think the people whose livelihoods have been destroyed will be pro or anti-American? Just asking. Also, check the archives for my September 28th post.

Unfortunately, the information glut wrought by the internet is wasted on our president. You see he doesn't read the newspaper. Don't reread the previous sentence. There is nothing wrong with your eyes or my writing. The president does not read the paper. He said so himself. Check out this exchange with Brit Hume of Fox News.

HUME: How do you get your news?

BUSH: I get briefed by Andy Card and Condi in the morning. They come in and tell me. In all due respect, you've got a beautiful face and everything.

I glance at the headlines just to kind of a flavor for what's moving. I rarely read the stories, and get briefed by people who are probably read the news themselves. But like Condoleezza, in her case, the national security adviser is getting her news directly from the participants on the world stage.

HUME: Has that been your practice since day one, or is that a practice that you've...

BUSH: Practice since day one.

HUME: Really?

BUSH: Yes. You know, look, I have great respect for the media. I mean, our society is a good, solid democracy because of a good, solid media. But I also understand that a lot of times there's opinions mixed in with news. And I...

HUME: I won't disagree with that, sir.

BUSH: I appreciate people's opinions, but I'm more interested in news. And the best way to get the news is from objective sources. And the most objective sources I have are people on my staff who tell me what's happening in the world.

HUME: Mr. President, thank you very much.

BUSH: Thank you, sir.


Despite the fact that the president doesn't read the paper, he is worried about the media "filter" regarding Iraq. That means he needs a new PR offensive. We can now look forward to more strange statements from Condi Rice. Also see my September 14th post.

I only looked for the interview to get the newspaper quote, but the rest was equally revealing and scary. Check it out but be warned. It is not for the faint of heart. But sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.