Sunday, November 26, 2006

Jesse, Jesse, Jesse

"I can't speak for the television industry."
Michael Richards

"We are all racists."
Dr. Brenda Wade

I'm trying to give Jesse Jackson the benefit of the doubt, but I have to go with my gut instinct. When I read that Jackson would interview Richards on his radio program, I could only ask, "What the f**k for?"

Jackson says he wants to talk about the chance for healing, and discuss the dearth of black images on television. I'm all for healing and I want to see more black people on the tube, but it was frankly a waste for Jackson to ask Richards about it. Maybe he had a brilliant reason for this program, but it eludes me.

As for this Dr. Wade, I don't know what is up with her. She said that racism was subconscious, but it certainly isn't for the KKK and it wasn't for Richards. There is nothing subconscios about his hatred. It was front, center and very present in his brain.

There is nothing to be gained from engaging the likes of Michael Richards. He is a bigot, he is only sorry because he got caught. There has to be a clear expression of outrage directed at him, and that can't happen if Howard Rubenstein calls Jesse and says, "Please put my client on your show." That helps Rubenstein, Richards and Jackson but it certainly doesn't help anyone else.