Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Happy King Day

They must see Americans as strange liberators.
Martin Luther King, April 4, 1967

OK, I'm late. Yesterday morning the Blogger server had a poltergeist so I couldn't post. I then spent the rest of the day without email access. That is my story and I'm sticking with it. I don't really have that much to say about King, except my usual rant. It goes like this.

Very few people today really care what King said. He was passionately anti-war. He wanted to end poverty. Today we have a U.S. occupation of Iraq and the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. One of King's top aides, Andrew Young, sees nothing wrong with requiring voters to present I.D. in order to cast a ballot.

Yesterday pro-war politicians ran from black church to black church claiming to honor King's memory. It is a disgrace that they are allowed to walk in the door in the first place. King's children are squabling over money and the right wing quote King for their own benefit.

Maybe it isn't so bad that I was late.