Thursday, July 07, 2005

New York is London

Only luck has spared New York's transit system from the bombings that have occurred in Madrid and in London. After 9/11 we were told that the city was ready, prepared, able to prevent another terror attack. I can tell you that is just not true.

In August 2003 a black out struck New York, and as I joined thousands of other walking throught the streets it became clear to me. The city isn't prepared for anything. As if that isn't bad enough, the Transit Authority is planning to remove some staff from the L subway line that goes through 14th Street in Manhattan into Brooklyn and Queens. Instead of a motorman and conductor there will only be motormen.

This is insanity. Last fall heavy rains took the subway system out of service twice within a two week period of time. If we can't prepare for weather, how can we prepare for terrorism?

The terror alerts since 9/11 were in all probability phony, used to give Bush support at key moments. I have always said that I was willing to give up money, convenience or time in order to be safer, but all I have given up are civil liberties.

Let's hope New York's luck doesn't run out.