Sunday, February 06, 2011

Obama Admits Rendition Guilt to Bill O'Reilly

I sat down to watch the Super Bowl pre-game show only to learn that I would have to sit through a Bill O'Reilly interview with the president. I could have turned to another channel but I was transfixed, sort of like seeing an accident by the side of the highway. Like Clinton before him, Obama dealt with a mid-term election setback by embracing the right wing. What better way to do so than to appear on Fox news on Super Bowl Sunday.

My favorite moment came when O'Reilly asked Obama about Egypt. I don't have a transcript (it happened just a few minutes ago), so I'm paraphrasing. O'Reilly said the following to the president.

"They know a lot of bad things about us, the renditions and all."

O'Reilly asked the same question twice, but Obama did not reply either time. What an admission of guilt, an indictment of American wrong doing. I have to note that it all started under Bush, but the U.S. has been sending terror suspects to Egypt and other countries where they are tortured by operatives of the host nation or by Americans themselves.

It may have started with Bush, but Obama has done nothing to stop it, and he admitted it on live television.