Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Yes Virginia, There is a Pro-Israeli Lobby

Can there be any doubt that Israel holds sway over American politicians and the media?Presidential candidates vie with one another to promise that they will attack Iran in order to protect Israel. Neither they nor the media will point out that Israel is armed with nukes and Iran can’t possibly have any for at least five years.

It is amazing that Israel and its American allies wanted a war against Iraq, but anyone who points out that very public information is labeled an anti-Semite. Worse yet, no one can point out that the U.S. supported Saddam Hussein when he had WMDs or that Israel pushed for that alliance as well.

Israel may have known about the 9/11 terror attaks. No one is supposed to talk about the so-called moving company in New Jersey whose workers happened to be Mossad agents who happened to have cameras pointed at the World Trade Center on the morning of 9/11. I’m also not supposed to mention the Israeli art students who only sold their work at the FBI and DEA.
Sounds strange to me, but what do I know. I’m just an anti-Semitic conspiracy theorist.

It seems I'm not the only one who is sick and tired of Israel getting America into one mess after another. A few brave voices dare to speak up in an age when even plays that criticize Israel are banned. "My Name is Rachel Corrie" can't find a home on the New York stage.

Professors Stephen Walt of the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard and John Mearsheimer of the University of Chicago, are in the news because of their study "The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy." They haven't done anything revolutionary, just document the power of Israel's lobby in America.

Amazingly, their detractors claim there is no lobby or that it isn't really effective or declare that Condi Rice is a gentile.

That is the primary power of the lobby, labeling as anti-Semitic anyone who notices its success. I wish that someone would tell me the rules. Am I allowed to say that there is a lobby for Israel? Am I supposed to say its effect is neglible? Am I supposed to acknowledge its success but do so in hushed tones?

Let me know sometime soon. If I'm going to be called an anti-Semite, I would like to know why.